Friday, February 28, 2014

Watercolor 1 Midterm: Due 3/10/14


MIDTERM: Neutral grey grid
(click to enlarge)




The primaries are on the left, their respective complementaries are on the right. The very middle square on each row is the actual neutral grey- an equal mix of both colors, the other squares gain more of the end colors as they move from the center. For example, the neutral grey of red and green gets redder as it shifts to the red, greener as it shifts to the green.
To do this I simply filled in my two end colors as cleanly as possible (change your water often!), then got the middle grey as accurately as I could. To use the red and green example again, I then layed down a light layer of red on the three squares shifting towards red, and a light green on the squares shifting towards green. The I layered the colors until I got the gradation correct. In other words, take your time and be systematic with this- you may not get it exact at first, just keep moving along and you'll get it.
The squares are an inch wide separated by a quarter inch. This way I was able to put 9 squares on a 12 inch wide piece of watercolor paper. You can measure it any way you want, as long as you have 9 squares.

Rubric:
grading on neatness, purity of color (no dirty primaries!) and convincing gradation.
Due 3/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment